Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Soccer

So the last time I played a game of soccer I was twenty two and it was a fierce game of back yard ball with a bunch of young Mexican kids while Shahla Bolbolan and I were vacationing in Puerto Vallarta.  They actually seemed impressed that a couple of American girls would play at all and they didn’t kick us out so I think we did okay.  Maybe they just liked watching us run around.  That said, I wasn’t good. Every single boy out on the field was superior to me and some of them were just 8 or 9 years old.  I was just mediocre at best, but I did run the entire time and I didn’t get hurt.  It rained for a better part of the game and it was so much fun to just run around in the rain and mud and try to kick the ball. 

Now fast forward about twelve years to the present time and you will find me playing in an organized soccer league in Muskegon tonight as a sub.  I gave fair warning to the team that I have never played organized soccer (unless the game in Mexico counts) and that I don't know the rules or strategy.  They must have been desperate because they still wanted me! 

It is not going to be pretty, but I figure I ran a marathon so I can do it!  Say a little prayer for me that I won’t get hurt.  I don’t mind being humbled and a bit embarrassed.  I expect that.  A repeat of the Mexico experience would be welcomed. I would be the worst one on the field, but at least I wouldn't get hurt.  I just don’t want some soccer injury to interfere with my little running addiction.  Today instead of watching the television, I will be mentally preparing for and attempting to play soccer!

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment